Skip to main content

Family Law

Relocation Actions

Seeking relocation with your child

or wanting to prevent relocation of your children.

There are many reasons why a parent may wish to relocate, but the most common are related to employment opportunities or a desire to be closer to extended family. A new job in a new city might be an exciting change, but it comes with legal ramifications. Parenting plans, in particular, need to be adjusted, updated, or entirely renegotiated as a result of life changes that involve relocation.

When relocation is on the horizon, one parent may need to take legal action either to relocate their children away from the other parent or to prevent the other parent from relocating the children.

If a parent wishes to relocate a child who is named in a Washington State parenting plan, that parent must notify the other parent. If the parent wishes to move the child to a different school district, the relocating parent must comply with additional notice requirements under state law, and the non-relocating parent has the opportunity to contest the relocation but must do so within 30 days of receiving a Notice of Relocation.

If you are confronted with relocation issues, we can advise you to ensure your intended relocation proceeds in accordance with the law or represent you in an Objection to Relocation Action. We can provide vigorous representation whether you wish to relocate your children, prevent the relocation of your children, or simply wish to obtain an alternative residential schedule due to relocation.

Schedule a Free Consultation

Get in Touch